Current vacancies: Underwriting Trainee
Glemham Underwriting is a ten year old, eleven employee underwriting agency based in Framlingham, Suffolk although its principals have worked at some of the largest and most prestigious firms in the UK insurance market, including at Lloyd’s. This job is intended as a stepping stone for somebody looking eventually to work at Lloyd’s or company head office level.
The firm is offering a school or college leaver the opportunity to develop a close insight into the world of commercial insurance underwriting as well as gaining new professional qualifications, knowledge and skills. You will be mentored one-to-one by experienced insurance professionals and gain an insight into all aspects of the company’s business including administration, underwriting, marketing and sales.
A competitive salary will be paid and the role will also let you establish professional relationships with your colleagues, clients and other external contacts.
Your main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Developing knowledge, skills and behaviours recognised by the insurance industry in order to become a competent insurance professional
- Supporting a busy team in every aspect of client service delivery in order to provide a high standard of service
- Learning to use in-house systems
- Understanding the importance of accurate data
- Maintenance of general correspondence, accurate and timely completion of workflow and management information (MI) systems
- Being closely involved in the underwriting process so as to develop both technical skills and the ability to communicate effectively with the company’s customers
The starting salary is £20,000 per annum; you would have 25 days’ holiday as well as Bank holidays, and your hours would be 0900-1700 Monday-Friday. A non-contributory pension is also payable and study time for professional qualifications will be agreed as part of your working hours. The salary will rise as experience is gained.
We are looking for someone with the following skills:
- Self-motivation and the ability to work alone and as part of a tightly integrated team
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to engage effectively inside and outside the business
- Attention to detail and a disciplined approach to work, recognising priorities and taking appropriate action
- The ability to analyse numbers and use them to inform decision making
- The ability to learn and master new systems and processes
- Initiative and innovation
- A proactive approach to learning about the sector, our clients’ industries and the relevant markets
- The ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
We are looking for those with (or expecting to achieve) the following qualifications:
- Minimum CCC at A level (or equivalent) – 240 UCAS points
- Minimum grade B at GCSE (or equivalent) English and Maths
If you want know more about what it’s like working at Glemham please telephone MD John Cross on 01728 726 594. Your CV and covering email should be sent to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is Monday 04 July 2016 but we always recommend you apply sooner than this.